Sunday 28 October 2012

Free Updates

Today, I logged into the App World Vendor Portal and saw the latest comment on GPS Data Master. I decided that I would share it with you:

free updates
0 Stars out of 5
Created Date: Oct 28, 2012 12:11:05 PM
Release: 1.1.102
Review Body:
what happened no free updates anymore?

This sort of thing does not encourage me to make any updates to free apps, and in fact it just outright pisses me off.

Here's a person who liked the app enough to continue using it through at least one update cycle, but didn't take the time to rate it. Then, when future updates weren't coming fast enough, they went ahead and gave it 0 stars. Why would you want any kind of update for an app that you'd rate a 0?

Incidentally, whoever this is hasn't updated to the latest version. They're using version 1.1.102 and the current version is 1.2.1. Regardless, 1.1.102 was released less than a month ago. How the hell often do you expect free apps to be updated?

Here's what you'll see when you start GPSDM:

See that white rectangle there on the right? That's where an ad should be. But no one wants to advertise on the Playbook, so the ad fill rate is so low that most users see it as blank space. While I appreciate what I get, my earnings this month from that ad slot will be less than $2. It's getting harder for me to justify making updates, and comments like that one aren't pushing me in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment